As I have written in the past, we like to celebrate when our members earn a new certification. This month one of our EMTs, Victoria Sommer, passed the national nursing exam. She will be working In the burn center in Richmond. Congratulations, Victoria!
Once the weather improves many of us will be out working in the yard with plant and chemical dangers that we may or may not know much about. There may be an allergic reaction to something we touch, inhale or taste.
Here’s treatment tips right off the Poison Control web site.
Poison on the skin: Rinse the skin immediately. Remove contaminated clothing first (that's clothing with a spill). Don't delay. Every second matters. Use lots of room temperature running water. For large spills, adults and older children may find it easiest to hop in the shower. Use mild soap to remove material that sticks to the skin. Important: Rinse for at least 15 minutes. Use webPOISONCONTROL to get specific recommendations online or call Poison Control.
Inhaled poison: Move to fresh air immediately. Stay away from toxic fumes and gases
Swallowed poisons: If the product swallowed is burning, irritating, or caustic AND the person is conscious, not having convulsions, and able to swallow, drink a small amount of water or milk immediately.
For any poisoning/overdoes treat as above and then get help from Poison Control: use webPOISONCONTROL to get specific recommendations for your case online or call 1-800-222-1222.